VANCOUVER -- Firefighters in Burnaby and Surrey were busy tackling flames Friday morning and believe both of them were deliberately set.

In Burnaby, multiple vehicles were destroyed and several residents were displaced after a suspicious apartment fire was sparked early Friday morning in a residential area near Metrotown on Maywood Street near Silver Avenue.

"What we had was a substantial amount of vehicles on fire inside a parking structure," said Acting Burnaby Fire Chief Dave Younger, adding 10 vehicles were destroyed.

"Basically, the whole structure has collapsed on its own, which was (a) hazard. We couldn't go inside, it was so unstable. It has now fallen down."

The fire is believed to have started in the vehicles and then spread, with officials believing there is as a "strong chance of arson."

"It's definitely suspicious," he said. "It started in the vehicles and then extended down the row. The roof works as a lid to keep the fire in, and it spread really quickly in both directions."

RCMP arson investigators have been on scene all morning.

Younger added between six and eight suites were damaged with residents likely displaced for several days.

"This was a substantial fire on my arrival, where the entire alley was burning end to end and a lot of structure fire," Younger said, who praised crews for knocking it down. "They did a great job. Really went above and beyond."

In Surrey, three people were rushed to hospital after a fire broke out in their home along the 13000-block of 112a Avenue around 10 a.m.

Authorities said the three residents are in stable condition.

A man at the scene told CTV News he was the landlord and the three people are his tenants, who suffered smoke inhalation.

Firefighters also suspect this blaze is suspicious and called Surrey RCMP, which has now taken over the investigation.

“We're still in the initial stages of the investigation. So, our investigators are at the scene. They are trying to determine the cause of the fire and all the circumstances surrounding it,” said Cpl. Joanie Sidhu, a spokesperson for the Surrey RCMP.

Sidhu said police are asking witnesses and anyone with dash-cam video to come forward with information.