Anna Nguyen, the 13-year-old girl shot in the back Friday morning in Surrey, B.C., says her assailant was a family friend who she had let into her home.

Despite her traumatic experience, Nguyen sounded resilient speaking on the phone from her hospital bed Saturday afternoon.

"I'm just really shocked," she said. "But I'll get through it."

Nguyen was at home alone when the man, believed to be in his 30s, came to the door. A few minutes after entering the house, he attacked her and pulled out a gun.

"I just remember a really loud bang and then how my body was numb," Nguyen said. "Then he left to go to my mom's room and then I grabbed my phone and ran out the back door."

Nguyen was found about two blocks away, near Woodland Park Elementary School, with a gunshot wound to her back.

By the time police arrived at the scene, her home was engulfed in flames. Surrey fire investigators have yet to determine how the fire started.

When the blaze was doused, Emergency Response Team members forced their way inside – against the advice of firefighters, who didn't consider it safe – and located a man with a gun showing minimal signs of life.

"They ultimately removed that individual, that adult male, from the home," Sgt. Peter Thiessen said. "They commenced CPR immediately until Emergency Medical Services arrived."

The man was rushed to hospital via air ambulance but succumbed to his injuries. Police believe he is the shooter. An autopsy has been ordered to determine the cause of death.

Nguyen wasn't comfortable commenting on why the family friend had shot her, or what he was doing in her mother's room – only saying, "It's a personal matter."

She said it was totally unexpected, however, and that he was a friend of her parents who she had no reason to fear.

CTV spoke to her friend, Bree Esdiale, who visited Nguyen in the hospital. She said she's relieved Nguyen is going to be okay.

"I hope she gets better soon," Esdiale said. "It's sad seeing her there, immobile and not doing anything. She doesn't look very happy and I want her to be happy."

The Surrey RCMP Major Crime Unit returned to the home Saturday to search for evidence. The investigation is ongoing.

With a report from CTV British Columbia's Brent Shearer