B.C. store owner who offered to pay employee for sex fined nearly $100K in HRT ruling
The owner of a general store in B.C.'s Interior has been ordered to pay a former employee nearly $100,000 in compensation after a member of the B.C. Human Rights Tribunal found he had discriminated against her and retaliated when she filed a complaint.
The employee, referred to in tribunal member Amber Prince's decision as "Ms. K," began working for Wooyoung Joung and his company, which does business as Deep Creek General Store, in March 2017, according to the decision.
She and a childhood friend who also worked at the store testified that Joung would make jokes of a sexualized nature in the workplace and ask inappropriate questions about the women's sex lives.
"Ms. K testified that these comments made her uncomfortable," Prince wrote in her Nov. 24 decision.
"However, she initially took these comments as jokes, or a lack of cultural awareness on Mr. Joung’s part."
SEXUAL PROPOSITON AND FIRING
In August 2017, Joung invited Ms. K to have lunch with him. She initially refused, feeling that it was strange to have lunch with her employer, but eventually relented after several more invitations, according to the decision.
While driving back from lunch, Joung offered Ms. K $2,000 to have sex with him, the decision said.
The proposition left the employee "feeling shocked, insulted, disgusted, and sick to her stomach," according to Prince. When Ms. K didn't respond immediately, the decision noted that Joung "got mad" about her lack of response, then said, "I said a bad thing."
Ms. K asked Joung to "drop it and move on," but over the next few months he brought it up repeatedly and became obsessive about his employee and her sex life, acting like a "jealous boyfriend," in Prince's words.
He also began criticizing his employee's performance, cut her hours and accused her of having another job, which she did not, according to the decision.
In late September 2017, Joung presented Ms. K with a termination letter indicating that she was being fired for "insincere work behaviour," having another job that affected her work performance and failing to communicate with him and his family.
"I find that Mr. Joung’s allegations about Ms. K’s work performance, set out in the termination letter, and otherwise alleged, had no basis," Prince wrote in her decision.
"Both Ms. K and (her coworker) testified that Ms. K acted appropriately at work, did not miss shifts, or have another job. Rather, I find that Mr. Joung was angry and uncomfortable that Ms. K did not respond positively to his sexual proposition."
HUMAN RIGHTS COMPLAINT AND RETALIATION
After her firing, Ms. K filed a human rights complaint in early November 2017, alleging that Joung had sexually harassed her.
Joung and his store, with their legal counsel, filed a response to the claim in December 2017. In it, according to the decision, they denied discriminating against Ms. K, and described Joung - a Korean citizen and permanent resident of Canada - as "sometimes confused" by Canadian "cultural norms and practices."
Prince noted in her decision that Joung's counsel withdrew after the response was filed and that Joung and his store had been self-represented in the tribunal proceeding ever since.
"Since being self‐represented, the respondents have, for some time, stopped communicating with the tribunal, and did not participate in the pre‐hearing conference or hearing of this matter," the decision said.
In early 2018, after the complaint and Joung's response had been filed with the tribunal, Ms. K and her sister noticed evidence that someone had trespassed on their family farm, which is located in a remote area, according to the decision.
They set up a surveillance camera, which recorded images of a person holding a bottle on the property around 1 a.m. on an early March morning.
"Ms. K testified that she immediately and definitively identified Mr. Joung as the person in the photo," Prince wrote. "Later in the day Ms. K and (her sister) found the same bottle seen in the picture, with cigarette butts in it on the property."
They contacted police, who contacted Joung, who denied that he had trespassed on the property.
Nevertheless, Prince wrote that she was convinced it was "more likely than not" that Joung was the trespasser.
DECISION AND AWARD
Ms. K filed a second complaint after the trespassing incident, alleging that it was done in retaliation for her filing the first complaint.
Prince concluded in her decision that was "no other reasonable explanation" for Joung's trespassing than to "intimidate and penalize" Ms. K for filing her complaint.
"Without hesitation, and based on the evidence, I find that Ms. K was seriously and negatively impacted when Mr. Joung made sexualized comments to her, propositioned her for sex, made false allegations about her work performance, poisoned her workplace, fired her, and then trespassed at her home in the middle of the night," Prince wrote in her decision.
"I find that Mr. Joung’s cumulative conduct caused short‐term and long‐lasting harm to Ms. K. She increasingly experienced stress, discomfort, anxiety, fear and illness. Her ability to sleep, eat, work, and enjoy her life was impacted," the tribunal member added. "She felt unsafe in her own home."
Prince ordered Joung to pay his former employee $53,916.72 in lost wages, a figure that takes into account the money she would have made between October 2017 and December 2019 if she had continued to work at the store, minus the wages she actually earned from other employment during that time. It also accounts for money she lost between August and October 2017 because of her unfairly reduced hours.
In addition to the lost wage award, Prince awarded Ms. K $35,000 as damages "for injury to her dignity, feelings and self‐respect as a result of the sexual harassment she experienced, including termination of her employment," and another $10,000 as damages for the retaliation she experienced.
In all, Joung and his store must pay Ms. K $98,816.72, plus post-judgment interest until the amount is paid in full.
Vancouver Top Stories
CTVNews.ca Top Stories
Truck drivers protesting against the vaccine mandate at the border have raised more than $3.7 million from donors around the world but the fundraising platform GoFundMe has temporarily stopped organizers from using the money.
The official spokesman for the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan won’t be apologizing for the Canadian soldiers killed in Kandahar, Zabihullah Mujahid told CTV National News London Bureau Chief Paul Workman in Kabul, Afghanistan. 'They shouldn’t have come,' he said, in an exclusive interview.
A spokesperson for the Taliban is adamant that reports circulating about widespread hunger and human rights violations against women in Afghanistan are not true and that the Taliban government is working to correct its perceived shortcomings on the international stage.
As other countries begin to withdraw embassy and diplomatic staff from Ukraine over heightened concerns of a Russian invasion, Canada is suggesting any non-essential Canadians should leave.
A Connecticut man has been arrested and lost his job after video surfaced of him yelling at employees of a smoothie shop Saturday, where he claimed his son received a drink with peanut butter, causing a severe allergic reaction sending him to the hospital.
A U.S. Navy combat jet conducting exercises in the South China Sea crashed while trying to land on the deck of an American aircraft carrier, injuring seven sailors, the military said.
Canada's foreign affairs department experienced a 'cyber incident' last week that is still under investigation and has left the organization without access to some 'internet-based services,' the federal government has confirmed. The 'incident' was discovered the same day the Canadian Centre for Cyber Security issued a bulletin warning about Russian state-sponsored cyber threat activity amid ongoing tensions with Ukraine.
In the face of the ongoing Ukraine-Russia crisis, NATO has played a prominent role in attempting to quell further escalations between Russia and the West. CTVNews.ca looks at what Canada’s obligations are to Ukraine as a member of NATO.
HQ Fine Foods is recalling certain Quality fast foods brand and Hygaard Fine Foods Ltd. brand sandwiches because of a possible Listeria contamination.
Police are on the lookout for a 36-year-old man and his seven-year-old daughter who were reported missing to the North Cowichan/Duncan RCMP on Sunday.
No deaths related to COVID-19 were reported in Island Health over the weekend, though 24 deaths were confirmed across the province over the past 72 hours.
The Colwood Medical Treatment Centre announced it will shut down its walk-in clinic on April 15.
Alberta reported more than 8,500 weekend COVID-19 cases on Monday evening.
A Calgary man who admitted to murdering his former girlfriend but denied killing her daughter has been found guilty of killing the young girl.
Alberta unveiled a 10-point plan Monday to deal with unprecedented stress on the provincial EMS system.
Alberta reported more than 8,500 weekend COVID-19 cases on Monday evening.
Water pooling on residential roads due to blocked drains is an emerging concern the City of Edmonton says it is tackling.
Approximately 190 classes in Edmonton and St. Albert have been moved online because of COVID-19 infections since students returned to classes on Jan. 10, according to data released Monday.
An Ontario man who missed his oil change is now on the hook for a $19,000 engine replacement despite the vehicle being under warranty.
A video posted on social media by an Ontario police officer, who says she feels people are at war for their freedoms, is being looked into by a regional police force.
This week, as Ontario records its 1 millionth confirmed case of COVID-19, a senior researcher into the 2003 SARS outbreak says recommendations made to blunt the impact of a future pandemic were not followed.
Quebec will launch pop-up clinics and a phone line to reach unvaccinated citizens in an effort to increase first vaccinations in regions where rates are lowest.
Quebecers will have to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination to enter big-box stores with a surface area of more than 1,500 square metres, except for grocery stores or pharmacies.
Frustrated with the lack of data around COVID-19 cases in Quebec schools, one English board has taken matters into its own hands. A citizen website is getting teachers to leak air-quality results; meanwhile, the province says schools are under control, but some parents have helped out.
Wedding season is a few months away and some Winnipeg couples could be out of a caterer and their deposit. Caitlin Turcotte and Mark Ribeiro are one of those couples.
Tensions in eastern Europe remain high over the threat of a Russian invasion in Ukraine. The situation is hitting close to home for many members of the Ukrainian community in Manitoba, who are keeping a close eye on developments overseas.
A Florida man charged for his role in a human-smuggling scheme that turned deadly at the Canada-U. S. border will be allowed to go home to await trial.
More Saskatoon Blades games will have to be rescheduled as COVID continues to impact the Western Hockey League (WHL).
An anti-vaccine mandate protest convoy rolled through Saskatoon on Monday.
Saskatoon's Ukrainian community is closely watching the conflict brewing along the country's border with Russia.
Officials consider patient transfers to rural areas as Sask. COVID-19 hospitalizations reach highest count since October
As of Monday, 262 people with COVID-19 were in hospital, which is the highest count since Oct. 27.
Sylvester Ukabam, a former Regina doctor charged with seven counts of sexual assault against former patients, took the stand on Monday morning to kick off the third week of the trial.
A convoy of trucks protesting the federal government’s cross-border travel vaccine mandate is expected to roll through Regina on Monday evening.
Nova Scotia reported five new deaths related to COVID-19 Monday.
New Brunswick’s education and early childhood development minister is hopeful students will return to in-person learning on Monday, Jan. 31 but public health will have the final say later this week.
Prince Edward Island announced two new deaths related to COVID-19 Monday, involving two people between the ages of 60 and 79.
As of Tuesday, Princess Elizabeth Public School in London, Ont. will be closed to in-person learning.
Police in Woodstock, Ont. are warning the public of a phone scam after a victim in the city received multiple calls.
Environment Canada has issued a winter weather travel advisory Monday.
Tim Hortons is releasing a limited edition doughnut Jan. 28-30 with all proceeds supporting Special Olympics Canada and its athletes.
Science North in Sudbury is getting $500,000 in federal funding to promote vaccinations. The project is called 'Give Vaccines a Shot!' and it’s targeted at audiences of all ages.
There's a new young mayor in the region and at 22, he is of Canada's youngest. Frederic Diebel has been appointed to the vacant seat after the township's last mayor resigned.
Emergency crews responded to a house fire on Esther Avenue in Cambridge on Monday.
Experts find nearly half of Canadians are feeling frustrated, anxious and fatigued amid the fourth wave of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Region of Waterloo is reporting five new deaths related to COVID-19 in Monday's dashboard update.