Vancouver city crews are responding to a water main break that flooded at least one home in the Grandview-Woodland neighbourhood Friday morning.

Residents said the main broke at around 7 a.m., sending torrents of water into the area of Lakewood Drive and Adanac Street, beside Templeton Secondary School.

Amy Weeks woke up to the sound of what she thought was torrential rain, but when she looked outside she saw a much bigger problem.

"It was just water coming out of the sidewalk. Coming up about three feet high, pushing rocks up, the sidewalk coming up."

She says crews managed to turn off the water within about 30 minutes, but the damage was already done.

Tino De Resendes and his wife have lived in their home on Adanac Street for more than 50 years, and the torrent of water spewing from the broken water main flooded their basement.

"All of a sudden I see the water coming in," De Resendes told CTV News. "I wanted to open the door, but I was scared. I didn’t know how much water. Finally I got mad and opened up, you know, whoa, there’s the water coming in."

He believes at the peak of the flooding, there was about two feet of water in his basement. He and his wife have insurance and are now trying to get the mess cleaned up with the help of a restoration company.

It’s believed there is also minor damage to a couple other homes.

Neighbours said they have contacted the City of Vancouver several times over the past two weeks ago to report water bubbling up from the pavement. Residents say they first noticed the stream on May 4, and described the leak as a small brook running down Lakewood Drive.

It appears city workers did attend at some point.

"They obviously were there because they put cones there to warn people there was water flowing out of the ground," said resident David McHolm.

But there is frustration that more wasn’t done sooner to address the problem. Some believe the flooding Friday morning was preventable.

"They could have fixed the problem before it became a problem," McHolm noted. "Now it’s a major reconstruction."

The city said it's unclear how long it will take to get the scene cleaned up, but that "these repairs can take 8 to 12 hours."

A tree was removed from the site of the original leak on Friday morning, and city crews have been digging a large hole in the road.

In the meantime, drivers have been asked to avoid the area.