Warning: Clams, salmon from B.C. distributor could kill
The BC Centre for Disease Control has issued a warning for several products sold on BuySellTrade.ca, including whole clams. Dec. 16, 2012. (Handout)
The Canadian Press
Published Sunday, December 16, 2012 6:25PM PST
Last Updated Sunday, December 16, 2012 6:26PM PST
VANCOUVER - The BC Centre for Disease Control is warning people not to eat clams, salmon and other seafood sold by a private distributor in Port Hardy because of the risk of shellfish poisoning and botulism.
The products include frozen and jarred clams, frozen barbecue salmon and canned salmon in clam juice, all of which were sold online and through other means.
The centre says anyone who bought the products should throw them out and that cooking will not destroy potential toxins.
So far, the centre is not aware if any of the seafood and shellfish has been made available through stores or restaurants.
Symptoms of paralytic shellfish poisoning include tingling and numbness, which spreads from the mouth to other parts of the body, respiratory failure and possible death.
Botulism is a serious form of food poisoning from improperly canned foods and can also be fatal.