Young girl severely burned in cooking accident
A four-year-old girl from Surrey, B.C. is recovering in hospital after being severely burned in an apparent cooking accident Tuesday afternoon.
Mounties say the girl's mother bumped into her in the family kitchen while carrying a pot of hot oil, spilling the scalding contents onto the child's upper body.
"It appears through our investigation that this was an accident, a very tragic accident," Cpl. Drew Grainger told ctvbc.ca.
Police, ambulance paramedics and firefighters rushed to the home, located in the 13100-block of Linton Way in the Newton area, and helped transport the girl to a nearby elementary school where a medivac helicopter awaited.
She was airlifted to BC Children's Hospital suffering second-degree burns to a significant portion of her body.
Grainger said the girl's condition had stabilized by Wednesday morning, but could not comment on the extent of her injuries. The police investigation has concluded, he said.
"There's no indication of any criminality behind this unfortunate incident," he said. "It's no longer a matter for the police."