Police are investigating a stabbing outside a McDonald's restaurant in East Vancouver that led to a dramatic takedown Sunday night and a charge against a 22-year-old suspect from Surrey.

Authorities said they responded to reports of a stabbing at a bus stop near East Hastings and Cassiar streets around 10 p.m., and found a 22-year-old suspect nearby.

Video of the ensuing takedown that was posted to social media shows officers repeatedly yelling for the the young man to "get on the ground" as he stood near the restaurant’s drive-thru near a crowd of people.

The man then takes a step forward, and within moments police deploy a Taser. One officer can then be seen sweeping the suspect's feet out from under him as a stunned crowd watches on.

“Sometimes force doesn’t look pretty,” said Sgt. Jason Robillard with the Vancouver Police Department during a media briefing Monday morning. “The officers there had to act quickly, it was a very dynamic situation.”

Police described the suspect as "unco-operative" and said officers used the tactics to bring him into custody safely as they were concerned he was armed. They say a knife was recovered from the scene after the arrest.

The man was taken to hospital for a cut to his hand that police said he sustained before they arrived.

“This situation, where you look at the amount of bystanders that were around him. The officers had to act very quickly for the safety of the bystanders, for the safety of the officers. That’s what people saw here,” Robillard said.

Social media video of the arrest racked up thousands of views within a few hours of being posted.

“There’s a lot more context involved than a small couple second clip of an arrest,” Robillard said. “This was a violent situation, with a crowd, a very dynamic and a very fluid situation.”

The victim from the initial altercation is a 22-year-old Langley man, according to police. He was taken to hospital with stab wounds that police said were not life-threatening.

Robillard said the suspect and victim didn't know each other before Sunday night, but were both in a crowd of people who attended a nearby music festival.

"This incident started off as a minor verbal dispute and is believed to be isolated," Robillard said.

Forensics officers gathered evidence and photographed the scene overnight, but had left by Monday morning.

Police announced Monday that a charge of assault with a weapon had been laid against 22-year-old Jany Wan of Surrey.