2 city workers in jailhouse sex scandal return to work
Published Monday, October 4, 2010 3:27PM PDT
Two municipal employees accused of watching a sexual encounter between two female detainees at a B.C. RCMP detachment via closed-circuit video have been allowed to return to work.
Randy Diehl, chief administrative officer for the City of Kamloops, told ctvbc.ca that one civilian prison guard and a watch clerk returned to work last week.
"The best available information that we have is that they aren't implicated," Diehl said.
Another civilian guard remains off the job while the city wraps up its investigation into his behaviour.
However, Diehl acknowledge that all three men could still face criminal charges.
"If they are charged, then that changes the world again," he said.
The three men, along with four male RCMP officers, are accused of watching the Aug. 18 jail-cell encounter for seven minutes without intervening.
The four Mounties remain suspended from duty with pay, RCMP Sgt. Scott Wilson told ctvbc.ca.
According to police, the two women at the centre of the scandal were arrested separately on suspicion of being drunk in public and causing a disturbance.
Some media outlets have reported that one of the women involved is HIV-positive and did not inform the second woman, but police say they will not comment on those reports because of privacy concerns.
Wilson said that police will forward the results of the criminal investigation into the incident to Crown counsel next week, and will leave it up to prosecutors to determine what charges -- if any -- the seven men will face.
"It isn't something that they're going to make a decision on in a day or two," he said.
Last week, the Commission for Public Complaints Against the RCMP announced that it will hold a public inquiry into the jailhouse scandal.