Youth among newly accused Stanley Cup rioters
Published Tuesday, July 23, 2013 8:41AM PDT
Last Updated Tuesday, July 23, 2013 11:34PM PDT
Police have recommended 118 new charges against 27 suspected participants of the 2011 Stanley Cup riot, in which a horde of people burned and looted the city after the Vancouver Canucks lost Game 7 of the Cup Final.
Notably among them is a trio of high-school friends accused of breaking in to four separate businesses. One of the three was allegedly seen damaging a vehicle, according to police.
The trio was later spotted on a SkyTrain with what appeared to be stolen merchandise.
"They were detained by Transit Police, and the merchandise turned out to still have the price and security tags attached, which was later found to match items stolen in the break-ins," police said in a news release.
Other accused rioters include two 14-year-old boys charged with six counts of break and enter and one count of mischief over $5,000.
A 25-year-old woman from Port Coquitlam is facing charges including assault after she was allegedly caught on video chasing a female Good Samaritan with a chair leg and later punching her in the face.
The victim suffered injuries to her face and mouth, police said.
A man on recognizance for firearms charges when he allegedly participated in the riot is also facing charges of assault and break and enter after being caught on video.
The suspect is accused of kicking a stranger while he was on the ground during a swarming attack in the 800-block of Granvile Street.
Police said they are still trying to identify three of their top 10 suspects shown on video taking part in the riot.
The latest round of charge recommendations may be the last batch to come from the riot, which has resulted in more than 1,200 offences against 352 suspected rioters.
Investigators will still take tips and request charges if warranted, Const. Caedmon Nash said.
Up until last week, charges against 249 people have resulted in 165 guilty pleas and 123 sentences, according to Crown Counsel Neil MacKenzie.
The ongoing investigation of the riot has racked up a $2-million bill over two years.
New charges laid in assault of Good Samaritan
It appears one of the more disturbing stories to come out of Vancouver’s Stanley Cup Riot may finally be coming to a close.
Police also confirmed Tuesday charges have been laid against 22-year-old Maple Ridge resident Daniel Amesbury – the 14th suspect charged with allegedly swarming and attacking Good Samaritan Robert Mackay, police said in a news conference Tuesday.
Mackay was punched, kicked and pepper sprayed by 15 people as he tried to stop looting at The Bay department store after the Vancouver Canucks lost Game 7 of the Stanley Cup final to the Boston Bruins in June 2011.
Amesbury is the final person to be charged with assaulting Mackay as a police recommendation to charge a 15th suspect was not accepted by the Crown.
With files from CTV British Columbia’s Scott Bills and The Canadian Press