Sentencing delayed in fatal drunk-driving crash
Published Tuesday, December 18, 2012 4:58PM PST
Last Updated Tuesday, December 18, 2012 7:23PM PST
Sentencing for the drunk driver who killed 22-year-old Surrey resident Kassandra Kaulius last year has been held over until after Christmas.
Kaulius was driving home after a softball game on May 3, 2011, when her car was hit by a drunk driver who ran a red light, then ran away.
Natasha Warren, 35, pleaded guilty to charges in the crash in July, including dangerous driving causing death and failure to remain at the scene of an accident.
Warren apologized during a sentencing hearing Tuesday in Surrey Provincial Court, saying “Words just can’t express how sorry I am for causing the death of Kassandra,” but the victim’s mother Markita Kaulius didn’t believe it was sincere.
“She had one opportunity to turn and face us and apologize to us and she didn't. She stood facing the judge,” said Kaulius. “She never turned around to say, ‘I'm sorry.’”
Warren’s mother delivered a victim’s impact statement in court, describing her daughter as the person who always took keys from people who were impaired.
Crown is asking for a three-and-a-half year sentence, while the defense thinks 25 months is long enough.
Warren’s lawyer, Mark Cacchioni, argued his client’s lack of a criminal record and desire to become a youth probation officer should be mitigating factors in sentencing.
Cacchioni also said Warren wanted to come to terms with her behaviour right from the beginning. Warren has promised to speak publically to urge others not to drink and drive and campaign for stricter impairment laws.
Kaulius’ family was hoping to have a sentence – and closure – before the holidays.
“It looks the same but it doesn't feel [anywhere] near the same because she's not there,” said the deceased’s father Victor Kaulius.
Warrenis scheduled to be sentenced on Dec. 28.
With a report from CTV British Columbia’s Michele Brunoro