Surrey residents allowed home after fire scare
Residents living to the north of a Surrey manufacturing plant were briefly evacuated Saturday night, as a fire threatened to spread noxious chemicals into the atmosphere.
The fire broke out around 7:00 p.m., at a building believed to be a circuit board manufacturer on 132nd Avenue and 88th Street.
Surrey fire officials have expressed concern that chemicals within the plant may be released into the air.
"Sulphuric acid, I think some nitric acid. We're just trying to get some information from the owners who are on scene right now to help us identify what those chemicals are," Deputy fire chief Gord Anderson said.
A number of residents were forced from their homes briefly, before being allowed back home before midnight Saturday.
No injuries were reported, and there is no word yet on a cause.