Jan. 10 update: Stanley Park seawall stabbing was premeditated, Vancouver police say

Nearly one year after amateur photographer Lubomir Kunik was fatally stabbed in Stanley Park, a suspect has been arrested and charged in his death.

On Tuesday, the B.C. Prosecution Service confirmed one count of first-degree murder has been approved against 29-year-old Tyler Anthony Lagimodiere.

Court records show a man by that name born in 1988 has a lengthy criminal history that includes convictions for firearms possession, break and enter, robbery and uttering threats.

Officials said Lagimodiere appeared in court Monday and is being held in custody pending another scheduled appearance later this month.

Some questions about Kunik's death remain unanswered, but the long-awaited murder charge was still a welcome development for his longtime friend Pavol Gorel.

"I am very happy. There is no question," Gorel told CTV News. "The healing process can start."

The 61-year-old victim was found suffering stab wounds on the seawall near Second Beach in February 2017. A man discovered Kunik while walking his dog in the park.

The murder left many in the community shocked and alarmed, occurring just a few months after another seemingly random attack elsewhere in Stanley Park that left an elderly man in hospital.

That victim was attacked in a parking lot near Brockton Oval in November 2016. A lanky man was caught on surveillance camera walking away from the scene.

The Vancouver Police Department would not take questions on the incidents Tuesday, but over the fall said they had not ruled out the possibility they were connected.

"Both appear random, and we're still not sure whether or not they're related," Const. Jason Doucette told reporters in November 2017.

Police described the investigation into Kunik's murder as challenging and complex, but said they were able to link the accused to the crime scene using forensics.

“Our investigators worked diligently and used a variety of investigative tactics and resources to solve this crime,” Supt. Mike Porteous said in a news release. “Solving this murder has been a priority for the VPD and we want to thank the RCMP forensic laboratory, the Vancouver Park Board, and the general public for their assistance and support throughout this investigation.”

With files from CTV Vancouver's David Molko