Stanley Park named world’s best park by travel website
The lighthouse at Prospect Point in Vancouver's Stanley Park.
Published Wednesday, June 18, 2014 8:11AM PDT
Last Updated Wednesday, June 18, 2014 8:20AM PDT
It’s something Vancouverites have known for a long time, and now a major travel website says Stanley Park is the best park in the world.
TripAdvisor.com has released its list of the top landmarks and parks in the world and the 405-hectare public park, bordered by the world-renowned seawall, tops the list.
Stanley Park is the only Canadian park on the list. Central Park in New York City was ranked third on the list of world parks.
The ranking is based on millions of reviews left by travelers and tourists on the website. Winners were determined by an algorithm that sorted reviews by quality and quantity over a 12-month period.
Despite being denied the top spot on the list, the U.S. is home to eight of the top 25 parks including Central Park, Garden of the Gods in Colorado and Millennium Park in Chicago.
Machu Picchu in Peru was named the top landmark in the world.
Here’s the full list of the top 10 world parks:
- Stanley Park, Vancouver, Canada
- Garden of the Gods, Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
- Central Park, New York City, USA
- Millennium Park, Chicago, Illinois, USA
- High Line, New York City, USA
- Kings Park and Botanic Garden, Perth, Australia
- Guell Park, Barcelona, Spain
- Ibirapuera Park, Sao Paulo, Brazil
- Retiro Park, Madrid, Spain
- Luxembourg Gardens, Paris, France