Rise in Burnaby break-ins prompts task force
CTV British Columbia
Published Friday, February 8, 2013 3:02PM PST
Last Updated Friday, February 8, 2013 7:49PM PST
An influx of break and enters in Burnaby has prompted Mounties to release surveillance footage to help them nab the suspects.
The footage shows video surveillance and pictures of suspects as they bust into businesses and homes.
In one video, surveillance cameras record thieves who break into a business and grab thousands of dollars worth of electric breakers, then make their getaway in mere minutes.
“It was about two to three guys, and they went through the door with crowbars,” said Steven Cavalheiro, an employee of Star Rentals. “Knew exactly what they wanted which was really suspicious, that they had been here before.”
Burnaby RCMP have also released a photo of a suspect who they say broke into a home while the residents slept inside.
The rise in break-ins has been significant on both commercial and residential properties, the latter of which numbered 120 in December alone, according to RCMP.
"They’re up close to 100 per cent, so double from what we’ve seen at this time last year,” said Staff-Sgt. Andy LeClair.
Mounties have created a special task force to address the issue.
“Their sole purpose and responsibility will be to track down and apprehend those responsible for these crimes,” said Chief Supt. Dave Critchley. “This team is comprised of senior, dedicated, experienced officers.”
Officers are going door-to-door in Burnaby neighbourhoods that have been targeted, offering residents advice on how to avoid becoming a victim of a break-in.
Anyone with information related to the break-ins or who recognizes any of the suspects in the footage is asked to call Burnaby RCMP at 604-294-7618.
With a report from CTV British Columbia's Michele Brunoro