More join lawsuit against company in Oregon bus crash
Emergency personnel respond to the scene of a multiple fatality accident where a tour bus careened through a guardrail along an icy Oregon highway and fell several hundred feet down a steep embankment, authorities said, about 15 miles east of Pendleton, Ore., Sunday, Dec. 30, 2012. (East Oregonian, Tim Trainor)
The Canadian Press
Published Thursday, January 17, 2013 7:17AM PST
Last Updated Thursday, January 17, 2013 7:20AM PST
More people have joined an American lawsuit against the Canadian bus company involved in a deadly crash in Oregon last month.
There are now eight plaintiffs in the lawsuit alleging "wilful and wanton misconduct" against Mi Joo Tour and Travel, whose bus smashed through a highway barrier and tumbled down a snow-covered cliff on Dec. 30.
The civil claim has added the company's president as a defendant, alleging Edward Kang established management policies based on cost and profit rather than the safety of passengers.
Added to the lawsuit are man who broke both his legs, his wife who died in the crash, and two Korean brothers who were studying English in Washington state.
A woman who sustained multiple fractures and her husband, who was not a passenger but is claiming for loss as a result of his wife's injuries have also joined the suit.
A lawyer for the bus company has previously said black ice led to the crash rather than driver fatigue, even as a U.S. government audit found the man had been on the road for 92 hours in the eight days prior.