Young house fire victim 'dedicated her life to love'
The BC Coroners Service has identified two of the three people killed in a house fire early Saturday in Victoria.
Emily Grace Morin, 20, and Georgia Paige Klap, 22, were both rescued from the burning building on Johnson Street, just 50 feet from the local fire hall.
Mark Mitchell, who also lived at the home, was killed in the blaze. His identity has not been officially released, but family members tell CTV News that he and Morin were dating.
Morin was pronounced dead upon arrival at Royal Jubilee Hospital. Klap was admitted into the intensive care unit at Victoria General Hospital but passed away later that day.
All three victims were students who rented the house.
Steve Klap told CTV News their family was in Florida when they received the news their daughter Georgia died, and rushed home.
“She brought light to everyone that knew her,” he said, holding a photo of his daughter in his hands.
“She wanted to see her world a better place, and that’s what she dedicated her life to.”
There was a party at the house the night of the fire, and investigators are looking into the possibility that a couch fire that was sparked and doused earlier in the night reignited.
“Once that thing got going it seems to be a perfect storm. Combustibles, you’re in an enclosed porch,” said Oscar Pohl of the Victoria Fire Dept.
The BC Coroners Service, Victoria Fire Department and Victoria Police Department are jointly investigating the blaze.