The final moments of Paul Boyd's life were replayed Thursday, as a coroner's inquest heard 911 calls from the night the bipolar man was shot to death by Vancouver police.

Boyd, 39, was killed in August 2007 after police responded to a report of a bus stop assault on Granville Street.

A man in an apartment looking down on the scene called 911 to report what looked like one man kneeling on another; another witness has testified that Boyd was by himself.

"I don't see weapons but there was a lot of shouting," the caller told a dispatcher.

He stayed on the line as police arrived, and watched as Boyd yelled at the officers, who pulled their guns.

"He's attacking the cops. The guy's attacking the cops," the caller said. "He's beating on the cops. He's going to get shot, the f***ing idiot."

He narrated as Boyd ran out into traffic: "My God," the caller said.

And then, a single gun shot could be heard.

"OK, that was the cop shooting the guy down," the caller said calmly, as his wife screamed in the background.

Boyd was eventually shot eight times by Const. Lee Chipperfield as the caller looked on. In less than a minute and a half, Boyd was dead.

"I did see the guy attacking the cops," the caller said. "They were defending themselves."

Earlier this week, Chipperfield told the inquest that he began firing because Boyd was walking towards him, swinging a chain. Another officer testified that he took the chain away from Boyd in between shots, but Chipperfield said he didn't see that.

Outside the inquest, Boyd's father David told reporters he didn't understand why so many shots were fired so quickly.

"Why can't they stand back, wait for a while, for one thing see what effect the shot had, before shooting again and again or waiting for backup?" he asked.

A forensic pathologist testified that one of the most deadly shots to hit Boyd went through his left lower jaw, entered his chest and passed through his heart. He told the inquest the angle indicated that Boyd may not have been standing upright at the time, but later said he couldn't tell for sure.

The inquest also heard two more 911 calls made in the minutes before Boyd was killed. Once was from a sushi restaurant, where a worker said Boyd had yelled at customers.

"He was shouting, shouting at the customer who was eating Japanese food," she told the dispatcher.

A man walking by the restaurant at the time also called police.

"There's an irate guy who's on his knees yelling in a Japanese food restaurant being super, super aggressive," he said. "It does not look good."

The caller said Boyd was wearing something strapped to his back, but he said he couldn't tell if it was a weapon.

The coroner's jury is scheduled to begin its deliberation in the case on Friday.

With a report from CTV British Columbia's Maria Weisgarber