A man implicated in the crash that killed RCMP Const. Sarah Beckett last month was injured in a weekend rollover in the Langford area.

A fire chief told CTV News that Jake Fenton was injured after a vehicle failed to stop for West Shore RCMP on Sunday, shortly before 1 a.m.

Police said they'd tried to perform a road check, but the vehicle did not stop for them. They later found the vehicle rolled over, with two injured people inside.

Malahat Fire Chief Rob Patterson told CTV News that police had identified one of the injured people as Fenton. The RCMP has yet to confirm to media whether Fenton was involved in the rollover.

The condition of the people who were in the vehicle at the time of the rollover is not yet known, but Patterson said the vehicle was so damaged that emergency crews had to cut off its roof to extract Fenton.

"He was in the driver's side of the truck," Patterson said Tuesday, from the scene. He said Fenton was unconscious when crews arrived, and appeared to suffer serious head or neck injuries.

The female occupant was outside of the vehicle when fire crews arrived, he said. She had been freed from the vehicle by other first responders.

"Neither of them were wearing seatbelts, so that was pretty evident by the position of the seatbelts when we got there."

B.C.'s Independent Investigations Office was notified and is reviewing whether the actions or inactions of police had anything to do with the rollover.

The IIO is also investigating a separate case involving Fenton and the West Shore RCMP.

Last month, sources identified Fenton as the driver of a pickup truck that fatally struck Const. Sarah Beckett at a Langford intersection.

The IIO launched its investigation after it was revealed that Mounties were trying to stop a suspect's vehicle minutes before the collision. Fenton has not been charged with a crime, and was released from police custody about 24 hours after the crash.

As the IIO investigates the crash that claimed Beckett's life, the RCMP's Island District General Investigations Section is completing its own criminal probe. Saanich police were also tasked with investigating, but completed its findings last week.