Witness says shooting video erased by police
Investigations are still underway into Friday's deadly police shooting in downtown Vancouver, B.C.
Someone called 911 to report a vehicle theft in progress. Two suspects left the scene shortly after.
An unidentified man in his 50s was later stopped by police investigating the theft as a possible suspect and was then shot following a confrontation.
Tasers were not an option as the two female officers involved were not carrying the stun guns.
"I saw the police approach him and I saw him approach them, and they backed up a little bit and he approached them a little bit, and then they shot him -- that was it," said witness Devon Cunliffe.
Meanwhile, witness Adam Smolcic claims he made a video of the incident that was later erased.
"I heard, I believe, three or four shots and the gentleman fell to the ground," said Smolcic.
He said as he filmed the incident on his cell phone another officer approached him.
"He asked me if I was filming. I said 'yeah.' he asked to see my phone... he had my phone for about four or five minutes, [and] when he returned my phone he told me to get lost," said Smolcic. "I walked back up Homer Street there and I checked in my phone and there was no video."
Police, for their part, have identified 50 witnesses. What people saw at the shooting scene will play a key role in the investigation.
"We know that the suspect advanced on the officers with the extended blade of an exacto knife and did not comply with orders to drop the knife," Vancouver Police Department spokesperson Jana McGuinness.
"I can't comment on what has occurred so far in the investigation, but I can say if anyone has evidence, that's important evidence it's our job to secure it protect it and bring it in to the investigation," said VPD police chief Jim Chu.
"It would be not proper to destroy any evidence and if this happened then we would look into it, obviously."
Smolcic says he plans on enlisting a data retrieval service to try and restore the deleted video. As for the investigation, autopsy results are expected Monday.
Police said an outside force would be called in to investigate, and the Office of the Police Complaint Commissioner will provide civilian oversight.
Police say they won't release the man's name until his family has been notified.
With a report by CTV British Columbia's Maria Weisgarber and files by The Canadian Press.