Stuffed French toast with Qualicum Beach Cafe's chef Todd Bright
Here's how to make the stuffed French toast featured on the CTV Morning Live Cook Off on Friday, May 6.
- 1 loaf of brioche bread, cut into four 3-inch blocks; day-old bread works best because it soaks up liquid better
- 250mL whipping cream (33%)
- 8 free run eggs
- 5g ground cinnamon
- 50mL vanilla extract
- 500g ricotta cheese
- 100mL guava puree (or any fruit puree of your choosing)
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Place ricotta in a stand mixer with the whisk attachment.
3. Start at a lower speed and slowly increase; whip ricotta on high speed until fluffy (about 5 minutes).
4. Turn off mixer and add guava puree. Whip until the ingredients are combined. Put mixture into a piping bag and store in fridge.
5. Mix eggs, cinnamon, vanilla extract, and whipping cream. Set aside and start prepping the stuffed brioche.
6. Use a small kitchen paring knife to insert a small hole on the side of the brioche blocks.
7. Take the ricotta mixture out of the fridge. Evenly pipe all the ricotta into 4 brioche blocks.
8. Dip brioche blocks in egg mixture. TIP: It tastes better when left to sit overnight in the fridge.
9. Place the brioche blocks on the middle rack of the oven on any ovenproof dish or tray. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until it turns golden color.
10. To serve the French Toast, top with berries, pistachios, brown sugar syrup, and maple whipped butter. Sprinkle with a little powdered sugar for garnish. And enjoy!
- Fresh berries
- 50g pistachios, lightly crushed
Vanilla Brown Sugar Syrup Ingredients
- 500g brown sugar
- 25mL vanilla extract
- 250mL water
Vanilla Brown Sugar Syrup Preparation
1. In a medium saucepan, combine brown sugar and water.
2. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla. Serve warm or cool.
Maple Whipped Butter Ingredients
- 1lb unsalted butter at room temperature, cut into small cubes
- 250mL real Canadian maple syrup
Maple Whipped Butter Preparation
1. Place the butter in a stand mixer with the whisk attachment.
2. Start a a lower speed and slowly increase; whip butter on high speed until pale and fluffy (about 5-10 minutes).
3. Turn off mixer and add maple syrup. Whip until the ingredients are combined. Taste and add more maple syrup if need.
Vancouver Top Stories
CTVNews.ca Top Stories
A former police officer, the 86-year-old mother of Buffalo's former fire commissioner, and a grandmother who fed the needy for decades were among those killed in a racist attack by a gunman on Saturday in a Buffalo grocery store. Three people were also wounded.
A racist ideology seeping from the internet's fringes into the mainstream is being investigated as a motivating factor in the supermarket shooting that killed 10 people in Buffalo, New York. Most of the victims were Black.
A driver who struck and killed a woman and her three young daughters nearly two years ago 'gambled with other people's lives' when he took the wheel, an Ontario judge said Monday in sentencing him to 17 years behind bars.
Increasing mortgage rates slowed home sales in April from the frenzied pace they started the year at, the Canadian Real Estate Association said Monday.
One of Canada's most successful Second World War flying aces, James "Stocky" Edwards of Comox, B.C., has died at the age of 100.
Canadians welcome Prince Charles and his wife Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall, as they embark on a three-day, travel-filled visit starting Tuesday. Between what senior government officials, Canadian Heritage, Rideau Hall and Clarence House have released, here's everything we know about the royal tour and its itinerary.
'Aquaman' actor Amber Heard told jurors on Monday that Johnny Depp slammed her against a wall and wrapped a shirt around her neck during their 2015 honeymoon on the Orient Express.
More than three decades after it became the first American fast food restaurant to open in the Soviet Union, McDonald's said Monday that it has started the process of selling its business in Russia, another symbol of the country's increasing isolation over its war in Ukraine.
Canada seeing some baby formula shortages, but store brands, interim policy on other imports helping
A major infant formula recall by the U.S. manufacturer of Similac has exacerbated ongoing pandemic-related supply issues for some Canadian retailers, according to the Retail Council of Canada, while other stores have generally been able to keep shelves stocked, with any shortages mostly temporary.
A motorcycle rider has been transported to hospital in critical condition following an overnight crash in Courtenay, B.C.
A new ride-hailing company has been authorized to serve passengers at the Victoria International Airport.
The Calgary Flames have defeated the Dallas Stars 3-2 in overtime in Game 7 of their first-round NHL playoff series Sunday night to advance to the second round.
A new Calgary Transit pilot that allows bicycles on CTrains at all times, including peak travel hours, is now in effect.
According to the government, Alberta saw 6,908 ATV-related emergency room and urgent care visits between 2015 and 2020.
A Parkland County man has been charged in connection to sex crimes involving a teenager, and police believe there may be more victims.
Alberta Premier Jason Kenney is in Washington in an effort to convince Capitol Hill lawmakers that his province is their best bet for North American energy security.
A jury trial is to begin today for a man and his son who are accused of killing two Métis hunters.
Police in York Region have released new video footage of a series of brazen carjackings as they warn drivers about a spike in violent incidents targeting luxury vehicles.
The Ontario election leaders debate is happening on Monday night. Here's how to watch it live.
Quebec coroner calls for independence in public health director role in final report on long-term care home deaths
The government of Quebec needs to ensure the role of the public health director is independent and without any 'political constraint,' a Quebec coroner has recommended in a final report into deaths at long-term care homes during the pandemic's first wave.
Quebec should aim to welcome 100,000 immigrants per year, according to the Conseil du patronat (CPQ).
Montreal commuters woke up to spiking gas prices as some stations' price for regular is currently a record high and over $2.15-per-litre.
Winnipeg police say human remains found in North Kildonan early Monday morning are believed to be the result of a homicide.
Water watchers are cautiously optimistic now that the Red River crest has passed through the Rural Municipality of Morris.
After almost four years on the runway, the Royal Aviation Museum of Western Canada has spread its wings into a new space.
Former Sask. Party MLA turned Independent Nadine Wilson and former federal Minister of Agriculture Gerry Ritz are both involved with the 'Saskatchewan United' movement.
A home in western Saskatchewan stands out for its prairie views — with thousands of trees planted on the property and a unique walking trail.
A video shared by Prince Albert police shows a suspect smashing his way into a residential building.
A new campaign launched by the Weyburn Chamber of Commerce hopes to get more people to consider making the city in southeastern Saskatchewan home.
Community members in Moose Jaw took part in the city's annual spring clean up on Sunday.
A jury of three women and two men has been chosen in the coroner's inquest into the death of Chantel Moore -- a 26-year-old Indigenous woman fatally shot during a wellness check by police in Edmundston, N.B.
An RCMP tactical team tasked with tracking down a mass shooter in April 2020 was dealing with the aftermath of his deadly toll in Portapique, N.S., when it was alerted hours later that he had continued his rampage in a community more than 40 kilometres away.
Two men are facing charges, including attempted murder, after a man was found injured in Halifax’s Fairview neighbourhood Saturday night.
No injuries are reported after a pick-up truck reportedly struck the back of a school bus on Monday morning.
The call came in just before midnight and police responded to the area of Wellington Road south and Bradley Avenue.
Three people have been charged in connection with an alleged homicide in Grand Bend
Complaints about people hunting and shooting roaming cows in the area of Old Woman Road, on Highway 17 north of Sault Ste. Marie, were reported by the OPP in tweets late Saturday and early Sunday.
Three new forest fires were discovered in northeastern Ontario
Ontario Provincial Police in the Sudbury area had a busy weekend dealing with stunt drivers, including one who went 71 km/h above the speed limit.
The investigation into the suspicious death of an eight-year-old boy in Cambridge continues with police expected to speak and release further information Monday afternoon.
Tanti, 27, was stabbed during a confrontation outside a downtown Guelph bar on MacDonell Street around 2 a.m. on February 29, 2020.
Eleven days after red paint was found splattered over the base of the Queen Victoria statue at Victoria Park, the City of Kitchener has cleaned the monument.