Sources tell CTV that four people were taken into custody following the murder of a 19-year-old gunned down and left to die in a street full of families in Vancouver late Saturday night.

Despite being shot between the eyes with a single bullet, Pritpal Singh Virk was still alive when paramedics arrived and did CPR just after 11 p.m..

But he died shortly afterwards, his head resting against a car tire and his legs lying in the middle of the road.

"They started doing CPR on him, and then they just took him. They tried doing CPR for a long time," said neighbour Kiran Dhaliwal.

No one CTV spoke to in the neighbourhood, the 400-block of East 54th Street, heard a gunshot. But one shell casing was found in the street, the source told CTV News.

It was a targeted shooting, said Const. Tim Fanning of the Vancouver Police.

By the afternoon, news had spread, and the victims' friends showed up at the scene.

"It's unfortunate. It shouldn't have happened to him. He's a nice, caring guy. He cared about everybody. He cared about all of us; that's why we're here," said Rob Sandu, who met Virk in grade eight.

Virk was a passenger in a rented Ford Escape that pulled a U-turn and sped away from a routine police stop near Prince George in May.

But the Escape didn't make it, and instead plummeted into the Nechako River. Virk was pulled from the river by the RCMP officer, but the river was deemed to dangerous for searchers to keep looking for the driver.

The driver, 19-year-old Daljit Sandhu of Richmond, was found two months later in the Nechako River near Vanderhoof, some 17 km away.

The RCMP also found the car and discovered 170 marijuana plants inside.

Virk and another man, Aaron Takhar, 22, were charged with drug possession and drug trafficking, while Virk faced a charge of obstruction of justice.

Saturday's death is Vancouver's fourth homicide this year. Police are asking any witnesses to call their major crime section at 604-717-2500.

With a report from CTV British Columbia's St. John Alexander