Coroner holding public inquest into B.C. teen's overdose death
The Canadian Press
Published Tuesday, March 26, 2019 1:01PM PDT
Last Updated Wednesday, March 27, 2019 2:05PM PDT
VICTORIA - The BC Coroners Service says it has scheduled an inquest into the overdose death of a Victoria teenager last year.
Elliot Eurchuk was 16 when he was found unresponsive on his bed at his family's home last April.
After his death, Eurchuk's parents said they felt trapped by a medical system that didn't give them a say in their son's painkiller prescriptions.
They said their son's drug use started after he was prescribed opioids for four surgical procedures in the span of a year and although they begged for alternatives, they were told he was old enough to make his own decisions.
The coroners service says in a news release that an inquest has been set for June 17 because the public has an interest in hearing the circumstances of Eurchuk's death.
The inquest will review those circumstances and allow a jury to make recommendations that may prevent similar deaths.
Presiding coroner Michael Egilson and a jury will hear from witnesses to determine the facts surrounding the death.
The coroners services says it is not a fault-finding agency and the jury must not make any finding of legal responsibility.
The inquest is to be held at the University of Victoria.