Squash base for pasta
Chef Jacob Deacon-Evans, Supermarine restaurant
Published Thursday, September 17, 2015 1:45PM PDT
Last Updated Thursday, September 17, 2015 2:08PM PDT
This is a versatile puree, and can be used for soup, pasta, vinaigrette and more.
- Squash base (Makes about 1 litre)
- 2 cups squash, peeled and diced
- 2 large yellow onions, finely diced
- 4 large cloves of garlic, sliced thin
- 1 large bay leaf
- 2 cups chicken, fish or vegetable stock
- 4 tablespoons good olive oil
- Kosher salt
In a steep sloped sauce pot, heat the oil until it seems like it has thinned. Add onions and garlic and sauté until they have gone translucent and are sweet smelling (about 10 minutes). Add in the squash and bay leaf with a pinch of salt and continue to sauté for another 3-4 minutes until the squash is starting to break down. Add your stock of choice and cook over low simmer until soft. In batches purée in a blender until smooth. Season to taste with salt.