Not so traditional vegetarian pad thai
Legacy Senior Living, Chef Rob Cleland
Published Thursday, May 21, 2015 11:43AM PDT
Last Updated Thursday, May 21, 2015 11:45AM PDT
Not So traditional Vegetarian Pad Thai
The sauce should be prepared in advance and will keep in the refrigerator for 1 week
Pad Thai Sauce: Yield 1 Cup
- Tsp of Sesame Oil
- 1 oz of Ginger Chopped Rough
- 1 oz of Garlic Chopped Rough
- Remove The Seeds from 2 tomatoes & Chop Fine
- 2 Table Spoon of Palm Sugar (Break It Up With A Mallet, Or Substitute Brown Sugar)
- 1 Cup of Low Sodium Soy Sauce
- 1 Cup of Water
- 1 tea spoon of Tamarind Paste (Can be bought in most grocery stores, Extra Lime Juice Can Be Substituted)
- 1 Lime Cheek (Cut the Lime into Thirds Lengthwise, You Will Get Far More Juice from It)
- Cilantro Stalks (Parsley, & Basil Stalks Can Be substituted if you do not like Cilantro)
- Sauté Garlic and Ginger with the Sesame Oil until Golden Brown.
- Add the Chopped Tomato and Continue To Sauté.
- Once The Mixture Starts To Become Dry Add The Brown Sugar & Remove From The Heat Until Incorporated.
- Return To The Heat And Add The Water & Low Sodium Soy Sauce & Herb Stalks.
- Reduce By Half.
To Make The Pad Thai:
- Tsp of Sesame Oil
- 2 Shallots Shaved
- 1 Clove of Garlic Shaved
- 1 Oz of Julienne Cabbage
- 2 Green Onion - Shave the Bottom White Part for Cooking, Reserve the Green Tops for Garnish
- ¼ Red Pepper Large Dice
- 1 Roma Tomato Julienne (Skin Removed & Seeded)
- 1 oz of Celery Heart Chopped, Leaves Reserved For Garnish
- 4 oz of Rice Noodle (Pre Soaked For at Least 1 Hour in Water)
- .25 oz of Cilantro Chopped (You Can Use the Whole Plant & Stalk)
- Sauté the Shallot, Garlic, Red Pepper, Green Onion White, & Cabbage until Golden Brown.
- Add the Rice Noodles and Sauté Until Incorporated Into the Other Ingredients (1/2 Minute or So)
- Add 2 Fl oz Of The Pad Thai Sauce, & Julienne Of Tomato.
- Cook Together Moving The Dish Around Until The Noodles Are Tender. (Approx. 2 Minute)
- Let The Dish Relax for Another minute or so To Soak up the Sauce & Plate.
- Garnish With The Raw Celery Hearts & Leaves, Cilantro Or Basil & Toasted Peanuts.