Mozza stick grilled cheese
Stu Smith, Fresh St. Market
Published Friday, September 18, 2015 10:19AM PDT
Mozza Stick Grilled Cheese
Ingredients (makes 2 sandwiches):
- 4 slices good sourdough bread
- 200g shredded mozzarella cheese, or a combination of mozzarella, edam, provolone, etc.
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2T butter
- 1T veg oil
- 2 large eggs, beaten and mixed with 1T water (eggwash)
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1t fresh thyme leaves, finely chopped
- 1t fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 1t cracked black pepper
- 2T Maple-Bacon Ketchup, to serve with (recipe to follow)
1. Butter one of the pieces of sourdough, per sandwich
2. Place 100g mozzarella cheese and 1T parmesan cheese on bread, place other piece of bread on top.
3. Dip entire sandwich into egg wash mixture
4. Mix panko bread crumbs, fresh thyme, oregano, and pepper together
5. Dredge sandwich in panko mixture.
6. Sprinkle remaining parmesan cheese over top of sandwiches
7. Heat skillet to medium heat
8. Place grilled cheese on top of 1T melted butter and 1t vegetable oil and fry, 2-3 minutes per side or until the cheese is melted and sandwich is hot. Serve with Maple-Bacon Ketchup
Maple-Bacon Ketchup Ingredients (makes 2 quarts)
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 15-20 raw garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup tomato paste
- 2 cups water
- 8 large red bell peppers, roasted, peeled, destemmed, and chopped
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 10 pieces of nice thick bacon, cooked, patted dry and chopped into small pieces
1. Brush Red Peppers with a small amount of olive oil. Roast the peppers over high heat over direct flame or under the broiler. Once the skin of the peppers is charred, rmove from heat. Place peppers in large stainless steel bowl and cover entire bowl with plastic wrap or aluminum foil. Allow to rest for 20 minutes. Then, carefully remove stem, seeds, and outer skin. Chop finely.
2. Saute onion and garlic in a tablespoon or two of oil until tender and caramelized.
3. Add maple syrup to caramelized onions and garlic, and cook for a few minutes until well integrated.
4. Add tomato paste, roast bell peppers, water, paprika, and fresh thyme. Simmer about one hour.
5. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add balsamic vinegar and bacon pieces into the ketchup at the end. Adjust taste with additional vinegar, salt, and pepper, as desired.