BC strawberry flan and freezer jam
Published Monday, June 8, 2015 11:25AM PDT
Last Updated Monday, June 8, 2015 11:33AM PDT
BC strawberry flan
- ¾ cup butter, softened
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 ½ cups flour
- Cream filling
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tbsp. Sugar
- 2 tbsp. Flour
- ¾ cup whole milk
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp. Vanilla
- 2 cups whole BC Strawberries
- ½ cup Apricot Jelly
- 1 tbsp. Water
Preheat oven to 400F
In a medium mixing bowl combine butter, sugar and flour. Use a pastry blender or two knives cut butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press into a 10-12 inch flan pan or spring form pan. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden.
In a medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks, sugar and flour-set aside
In a medium saucepan, heat milk until bubbles begin to form. Slowly pour milk into the yolk mixture, whisking constantly.
Pour milk/yolk mixture back into the saucepan and bring to a boil. Cook for about 3 minutes, whisking constantly until thickens.
Remove from heat and stir in butter & vanilla. Pour filling into a bowl and cover with a plastic wrap, refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
- Assemble flan: spread cream filling on top of cooled crust, top with whole Strawberries. Heat apricot jelly and water until melted, brush over strawberries. Chill for 2-3 hours
BC strawberry freezer jam – Freezer Jam Pectin
Liven up breakfasts and tea time with this tasty jam made with
Local BC Strawberries. It’s the easiest way to get berries to jam in just minutes and it uses far less sugar than most other freezer jams!
- 4 cups (875 ml) crushed local BC Strawberries, about 2 1/2 pints of berries
- 1-1/2 cup (375 ml) granulated sugar OR SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener
- 1 pouch (45 g) BERNARDIN® Freezer Jam Pectin
Wash and rinse 5 BERNARDIN® Freezer Jars and lids or 250 ml mason jars and closures.
Crush Strawberries with a potato masher, measure 4 cups crushed berries.
In a large mixing bowl, combine Freezer Jam Pectin, sugar or SPLENDA® . Stir fruit mixture into pectin-sugar mixture; stir 3 minutes.
- Ladle jam into jars, leaving 1/2 inch (1 cm) headspace. Wipe jar rims removing any residue. Apply lids tightly. Let stand until thickened, about 30 minutes. Refrigerate up to 3 weeks, freeze up to 1 year, or serve right away.
Makes about 5 x 250 ml jars.
Note: Splenda® No Calorie Sweetener may be substituted for the granulated sugar. Use the same quantity of Splenda® as directed for granulated sugar. Other artificial sweeteners are not suitable substitutes.
Grilled halibut with strawberry mango salsa
- 2 cups (500 mL) diced BC Strawberries
- 1 mango, diced
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) diced red onion
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 halibut steaks, about 1 inch (2.5 cm) thick
- Vegetable oil
- In medium bowl; combine all ingredients and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
Brush halibut with oil. Place on barbecue grill over
medium-high heat for 4-5 minutes per side.
Spoon salsa over each steak and serve immediately.
- Serve remaining salsa separately.