VANCOUVER - No police officers will be charged after two separate pursuits that resulted in one suspect being paralyzed and another suffering multiple injuries, the Criminal Justice Branch has announced.

In a Sept. 10, 2014 case, two Mounties in Kamloops were chasing a man who jumped a series of fences through several yards before landing on his head and immediately having no feeling in most of his body, the branch said.

It said an officer rolled the complainant over and cuffed his hands behind his back, but there's no evidence that he knew right away that the man was seriously hurt or that the officer's actions aggravated the injury.

“In fact, the evidence suggests otherwise since the complainant stated that the pain and loss of feeling was immediate,” the branch said in a report released Friday.

“The available evidence supports a conclusion that the officer who handcuffed the complainant acted on reasonable grounds and lawfully arrested him pursuant to the outstanding warrant.”

The branch said the complainant's statements to British Columbia's police watchdog were inconsistent in that he first reported that he injured himself while scaling a fence and then said police were “pretty rough” with him and tossed him around.

The branch also said the man later told the Independent Investigations Office that his memory was “shot” since the incident.

“The complainant does not provide any clear account of precisely what the police did, saying, 'That's the main thing I want to know ... what exactly they did to me.”'

The branch said a medical specialist who examined the man that day wrote in a report that the complainant mentioned he'd lost consciousness for a few seconds and then couldn't move his arms or legs.

“The available medical records also indicate that the complainant had used a narcotic on the date in question.”

In the second case on Oct. 7, 2014, the branch said two Vancouver police officers conducting a stolen-vehicle investigation followed a suspect after he abandoned the vehicle and hopped on a bicycle.

The branch said the officers pursued a cyclist in their marked police car and as he attempted to escape, he weaved from the street to a sidewalk and across several lanes before hitting a curb and falling.

The cyclist accused police of trying to run him over and causing injuries to his face, elbow and a leg, which had a bone fracture, the report said.

“The two officers in the vehicle say that (their cruiser) never made contact with the bicycle and attribute the fall to the cyclist's own erratic riding,” the branch said, adding the complainant had used a narcotic several hours earlier, according to medical records.

The complainant said the police car was driven onto a sidewalk and over tall medians before it was driven into him, but the branch said an examination of the vehicle and the bike did not back up the allegations.

“As a result, an excessive use of force cannot be proven, and there is no basis on which to charge the officer driving the vehicle with any offence.”