Sungold tomato risotto
- 1 small white onion, diced finely.
- 2 cups short grain rice, such as Arborio, or Carnaroli
- 1 cup white wine
- 6 cups heavily seasoned parmesan stock, or water
- 10-12 sungold tomatoes, or other assorted small heirloom tomatoes
- 2 heaping tablespoons of butter
- ½ cup grated parmesan
- Basil, olive oil, salt, and pepper for seasoning
Using a generous amount of olive oil in a pan over gentle heat, sweat onions until translucent and soft.
Add rice, and cook for 5 minutes stirring constantly.
Add wine, and continue to stir until well absorbed. Add stock in 5-6 additions to keep the rice barely covered while constantly stirring. This process takes between 20 and 25 minutes at a gentle simmer.
Check the consistency of your rice, it should be firm, but not crunchy. Once you reach this point, cook the liquid down until the rice stands to the sides of the pot.
Remove from heat and stir in butter, cheese, and tomatoes. Stir aggressively to emulsify.
Serve immediately, garnished with basil, and fresh tomatoes.
Serves 3-4 as a main course, or 6-8 as a side.