Sai Woo’s Hot and Sour Soup with Sturgeon
- 1lt / 4 cups Fish Stock
- .25ea / 1/4ea Fresh Pineapple, peeled, quartered and cut into 1/2"in thick
- 30ml / 2TBS Zhenjiang Black Vinegar
- 5ml / 1tsp Sichuan Peppercorn, grounded
- 30ml / 2TBS light soy sauce
- 120ml / .5cup tamarind water
- 45ml / 3TBS Fish Sauce
- 30ml / 2TBS xiao using wine
- 5ml / 1tsp sugar
- 15ml/ 1TBS ginger, grated
- small handful celery leaves
- 15ml / 1TBS cornstarch
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 ea Chilli fresh, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 ea Green Onions, finely chopped
- Fried onions or garlic slices, if desired
- Fresh Herbs - Dill, Mint, Cilantro, Thai Basil
- Sichuan Chilli Oil, as desired
Bring stock to a boil and add all the ingredients except the cornstarch and garnish. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
Remove pot from heat. Blend the cornstarch with a little cold water. Stir into the soup and cook, back on heat, stirring until thickened. Soup base is ready.
- Add Cooked Fish, Chicken, or tofu to the soup. Ladle soup into a bowl. Garnish as desired.