Miso-Ginger Poached Halibut
steamed greens and brown rice
- 2 halibut fillets, approximately 200 to 300 g each
- One red onion cut into three-quarter inch segments
- 1 inch long piece of ginger, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1T sesame oil
- 2T vegetable oil
- One heaping teaspoon miso paste, Genmai brand, mixed with 1 cup hot water
- 1 cup brown rice
- 6 heads gai lan or bok choy
- Sesame seeds and chopped green onion, for garnish
1. Cook brown rice according to package instructions. Set aside and keep hot trim and wash the gai lan or bok choy.
2. Slice onion and ginger and sauté in oil for 2 minutes without breaking onions apart.
3. Add 1/2 of the miso liquid to Pan halibut pan. Place halibut, skin side down on top of onions, reduce heat to light dinner, place lid on top, and poach, 8-10 minutes, depending on thickness of fillets.
4. With approximately 5 minutes left in halibut cooking, add bok choy to a separate hot pan with 1t vegetable oil in it. Sear on one side for one minute, flip over, and add remaining miso liquid. Immediately place lid over greens and allow to steam for an additional 1 to 2 minutes.
5. Place brown rice on bottom of plate, arrange bok choy around the edges and place halibut in centre of plate. Spoon 2T hot poaching liquid over top of halibut. Garnish with sesame seeds and green onion.