- 1 kg garden fresh asparagus or zucchini thinly sliced
- 227g peeled white onion, thinly sliced
- 60 ml salt
- Enough water to cover
- 750 ml white vinegar
- 300 ml sugar
- 1 tbsp celery seeds
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1.5 tsp turmeric
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
1. Wash trim and slice asparagus and onion, mix together and cover with water, sprinkle salt over and let stand 1 hour.
2. Drain asparagus and onions, discard water
3. Sterilize mason jars and lids and pack jars with asparagus onion mixture and red peppers
4. Combine vinegar, sugar and spices in a non-reactive pot and bring to a boil, remove from the heat and carefully cover the vegetables with the hot liquid leaving space at the top.
5. Place lids on jars and cool.
6. Label, refrigerate and enjoy on burgers, sandwiches with grilled meats.