Marijuana cooking triggers explosion in Victoria building
Fire and police officials are investigating after an explosion in an apartment building in downtown Victoria left one man with serious burns Friday night.
Police say the explosion, which took place in a fifth-floor apartment in a building on View Street, was likely caused by the occupants cooking marijuana.
“I believe it was Coleman’s camping fuel,” said Wayne Moody, acting chief of the Victoria Fire Department. “He put it in with the marijuana. They cook it down on the stove, and I guess in that process it caused it to flash, so there was an explosion, but then it put itself out.”
One of the occupants suffered serious burns to his face in the blast and was taken to hospital.
Other residents in the building say they felt the impact of the blast, but the explosion was contained to the suite in which it took place. The building did not sustain any structural damage.