A 49-year-old man is facing numerous charges after Mounties allegedly caught him drunk driving twice just hours apart on B.C.'s Sunshine Coast. 

The RCMP said the man also went on a reckless ride through the town of Gibsons, striking a fence and a parked car and at one point even driving into oncoming traffic.

The incident started around 8:45 a.m. Sunday, when officers received a call about a possible impaired driver who had visited two different liquor stores, both of which were closed.

On route to a third, the suspect allegedly smashed into a sidewalk, flattening one of his tires, then drove on the wrong side of the road, narrowly missed a pedestrian, and hit a fence.

Mounties eventually caught up to him in an apartment building's parking lot, where the driver had allegedly dinged a parked car before getting out to change his tire.

"RCMP arrived and arrested the driver before he could get his tire changed. The male allegedly provided breath samples well in excess of the legal limit," Sunshine Coast RCMP said in a release.

The suspect was released on a promise to appear in court and given a driving prohibition, but the incident didn't end there.

Around 5:30 p.m. that day, Mounties received a report that a driver had struck a curb in a mall parking lot, then got out, appearing to be drunk, and walked toward a restaurant.

Officers arrested a suspect, the same man they encountered earlier, and said he "again had an odour of liquor on his breath."

He once again failed a breathalyzer test, at which point his vehicle was impounded and he was kept in custody until he was sober, according to the RCMP.

On Wednesday, Mounties thanked the witnesses who called them, crediting the bystanders for potentially preventing a disaster.

"They may very well have saved a life," Const. Harrison Mohr said in a release.

Their investigation is ongoing, and the RCMP is still hoping to speak to additional witnesses, including the pedestrian who was nearly struck and a man they believe talked to the driver near one of the liquor stores.

Anyone with information on the case is asked to call the Sunshine Coast RCMP.