The Balaclava Rapist who terrorized at least 30 women in the ’70s and ‘80s received a massage this week from a student who had no idea about his history of sex crimes.

Larry Takahashi was given the massage at a Salvation Army halfway house in Victoria as part of a recovery program in partnership with the West Coast College of Massage Therapy.

College administrative director Lindy Lovett told CTV News the students in the program provided only chair massages.

“The students are dealing with an individual that is fully clothed, sitting in a chair with their face down,” Lovett said.

The revelation about Takahashi’s identity has still left students upset, and the school has cancelled its participation in the program.

Salvation Army spokeswoman Patricia Cuff said the charity is also conducting a review.

“We have a number of security measures that we go through to ensure that the best interests of the community as well as the clients we serve are kept,” Cuff said.

Takahashi’s crimes were committed against women in Edmonton between 1979 and 1983. He was dubbed the Balaclava Rapist for his pattern of sneaking into homes and apartments and assaulting women while wearing a disguise.

Const. Mike Russell said Takahashi, who is serving three life sentences, has been let out on an unescorted temporary absence in the city.

“He’s going to be out in the community staying in a halfway house here until Dec. 24 at which time he’ll be taken back into custody and there will be a determination about where he’ll be released,” Russell said.

Victoria police issued a warning when he arrived that he poses a significant risk to adult and teenage girls.

His release conditions state that he must “report all intimate sexual and non-sexual relationships and friendships with females,” but it’s unclear whether the massage will be considered a violation by the parole board.

Takahashi is also ordered not to consume alcohol or any other intoxicants or travel north of the Malahat area.

Anyone who sees him breaking his conditions is advised to contact police.

With a report from CTV British Columbia’s Ed Watson