B.C. floods: Officials hoping to reopen Highway 1 in the Fraser Valley Thursday
The B.C. government is aiming to have the flood-affected portion of Highway 1 through the Fraser Valley re-opened on Thursday, according to Transportation Minister Rob Fleming.
The minister said crews have been working hard to clear debris off the busy highway, which was hit by both flooding and landslides when an atmospheric river delivered a month's worth of rain to the Lower Mainland in less than 48 hours.
"We're pleased to report that some critical temporary repairs are now completed and water levels continue to recede," Fleming said Wednesday.
"We know that people in this region need to travel around – this will provide significant relief."
The reopening will affect the stretch of Highway 1 between Abbotsford and Chilliwack, but other parts remain closed or restricted to essential travel.
Though Fleming did not provide an estimated reopening time, DriveBC Tweeted on Wednesday evening that the stretch is expected to reopen at 9 p.m. Thursday.
Fleming also addressed the province's decision to limit Highway 7 to essential travel between Mission and Hope on Tuesday evening, acknowledging the impact it's had on people living in the area.
That restriction was necessary because trucks moving essential goods were "hopelessly congested" on the highway, the minister said.
"This was not a decision that was taken lightly but we needed to unblock that corridor so that goods could begin to move," he said.
The Highway 7 restriction will remain in place until the government can assess the impact of reopening Highway 1 and of the next storms heading for the Lower Mainland this week, Fleming added.
Essential travel can refer to everything from emergency responses, to moving livestock, to exercising an Aboriginal treaty right, and some routes have specific rules governing what's allowed.
Meanwhile, the race is on to protect Abbotsford from further flooding and ensure that the Sumas Prairie continues to drain.
Abbotsford’s mayor says repairs to the Sumas River dike were about 90 per cent complete as of Wednesday afternoon, with an additional metre of height expected to be added before rain begins on Thursday.
A new rainfall warning has been issued for the Fraser Valley with two more atmospheric rivers in the forecast.
"We are as ready as we can be," said Abbotsford Mayor Henry Braun when asked about the coming storms at a news conference Wednesday.
"The rainfall that's coming, I think we can handle for Thursday, Friday, the next one is in on the weekend," he said. "It's the third (storm) I'm more concerned about, but we don't have enough data yet. That's out there a ways, but if all that rain comes, I think we could still handle it."
The city, with the help of the military, has been working around the clock for 10 days to build the dikes back up.
There were four main areas of concern, but they made up less than one per cent of the entire diking system.
“All of the repair and reinforcement work to the dikes so far have been done to ensure we have the best protection possible should the Nooksack River overflow again and water comes in from Washington state,” said Braun on Tuesday.
The evacuation order for the Zurich Drive area has now been lifted, but a boil-water advisory for the Sumas Prairie area was replaced by a "do not use water" notice.
The city says the notice was "put in place due to continued uncontrollable water main breaches that could allow surface water to enter the drinking water system." It's expected to be in place for several days, the city says, and people in the area should only use water to flush toilets.
Braun explained that the water main breaches are in the eastern part of Sumas Prairie, much of which is still under a significant amount of floodwater. That means the city can't assess the damage to the water mains - or other infrastructure in the area - until the water recedes.
As of Wednesday, floodwater in the area was still more than two metres deep in some places, the mayor said.
"The longer that water stays there, the more damage there will be with the saturation of the soils," Braun said.
In Abbotsford’s historic Clayburn Village, about 75 soldiers spent Wednesday building a sandbag wall alongside a creek that overflowed last week and sent water rushing onto streets and into homes.
Some 22,000 sandbags were needed to finish the wall, which stretches 125 metres.
“We must be done tonight. The cost of not being done is dramatic, as you might imagine,” said Major Varun Vahal of Lord Strathcona’s Horse Royal Canadians.
“As far as I’m concerned, this is my highest priority,” he said.
More dangerous downpours are predicted to slam B.C. in the coming days.
“These storms are coming at a time when we are already grappling with some of the most destructive weather we have ever seen. They are coming as crews work day and night to repair the extensive damage from last week,” said Public Safety Minister Minister Mike Farnworth.
Clayburn Village resident Suhayl Sayeed had water come in his basement last week.
“The fact that it’s coming again for Round 2 is a little bit worrisome,” he told CTV News.
Abbotsford resident Carol Pope said she, too, has concerns about more heavy rains on the way.
“We haven’t recover from the last bout,” she said.
But others in Clayburn are feeling more optimistic.
“We made it through the first one. We should make it through the second one,” said Al Pickett.
Braun said he’s grateful for the words of encouragement from people across the country.
“Just continue to pray for us because we desperately need that,” he said.
Vancouver Top Stories
CTVNews.ca Top Stories
Truck drivers protesting against the vaccine mandate at the border have raised more than $3.7 million from donors around the world but the fundraising platform GoFundMe has temporarily stopped organizers from using the money.
The official spokesman for the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan won’t be apologizing for the Canadian soldiers killed in Kandahar, Zabihullah Mujahid told CTV National News London Bureau Chief Paul Workman in Kabul, Afghanistan. 'They shouldn’t have come,' he said, in an exclusive interview.
A spokesperson for the Taliban is adamant that reports circulating about widespread hunger and human rights violations against women in Afghanistan are not true and that the Taliban government is working to correct its perceived shortcomings on the international stage.
A U.S. Navy combat jet conducting exercises in the South China Sea crashed while trying to land on the deck of an American aircraft carrier, injuring seven sailors, the military said.
As other countries begin to withdraw embassy and diplomatic staff from Ukraine over heightened concerns of a Russian invasion, Canada is suggesting any non-essential Canadians should leave.
Canada's foreign affairs department experienced a 'cyber incident' last week that is still under investigation and has left the organization without access to some 'internet-based services,' the federal government has confirmed. The 'incident' was discovered the same day the Canadian Centre for Cyber Security issued a bulletin warning about Russian state-sponsored cyber threat activity amid ongoing tensions with Ukraine.
In the face of the ongoing Ukraine-Russia crisis, NATO has played a prominent role in attempting to quell further escalations between Russia and the West. CTVNews.ca looks at what Canada’s obligations are to Ukraine as a member of NATO.
HQ Fine Foods is recalling certain Quality fast foods brand and Hygaard Fine Foods Ltd. brand sandwiches because of a possible Listeria contamination.
The NHL record for most consecutive games played stood since 1987, but that record has now been tied, as Philadelphia Flyers defenceman Keith Yandle skated in his 964th consecutive game Monday night when the Flyers hosted the Dallas Stars.
Police are on the lookout for a 36-year-old man and his seven-year-old daughter who were reported missing to the North Cowichan/Duncan RCMP on Sunday.
No deaths related to COVID-19 were reported in Island Health over the weekend, though 24 deaths were confirmed across the province over the past 72 hours.
The Colwood Medical Treatment Centre announced it will shut down its walk-in clinic on April 15.
Alberta reported more than 8,500 weekend COVID-19 cases on Monday evening.
A Calgary man who admitted to murdering his former girlfriend but denied killing her daughter has been found guilty of killing the young girl.
Alberta unveiled a 10-point plan Monday to deal with unprecedented stress on the provincial EMS system.
Alberta reported more than 8,500 weekend COVID-19 cases on Monday evening.
Water pooling on residential roads due to blocked drains is an emerging concern the City of Edmonton says it is tackling.
Approximately 190 classes in Edmonton and St. Albert have been moved online because of COVID-19 infections since students returned to classes on Jan. 10, according to data released Monday.
An Ontario man who missed his oil change is now on the hook for a $19,000 engine replacement despite the vehicle being under warranty.
A video posted on social media by an Ontario police officer, who says she feels people are at war for their freedoms, is being looked into by a regional police force.
This week, as Ontario records its 1 millionth confirmed case of COVID-19, a senior researcher into the 2003 SARS outbreak says recommendations made to blunt the impact of a future pandemic were not followed.
Quebec will launch pop-up clinics and a phone line to reach unvaccinated citizens in an effort to increase first vaccinations in regions where rates are lowest.
Quebecers will have to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination to enter big-box stores with a surface area of more than 1,500 square metres, except for grocery stores or pharmacies.
Frustrated with the lack of data around COVID-19 cases in Quebec schools, one English board has taken matters into its own hands. A citizen website is getting teachers to leak air-quality results; meanwhile, the province says schools are under control, but some parents have helped out.
Wedding season is a few months away and some Winnipeg couples could be out of a caterer and their deposit. Caitlin Turcotte and Mark Ribeiro are one of those couples.
Tensions in eastern Europe remain high over the threat of a Russian invasion in Ukraine. The situation is hitting close to home for many members of the Ukrainian community in Manitoba, who are keeping a close eye on developments overseas.
A Florida man charged for his role in a human-smuggling scheme that turned deadly at the Canada-U. S. border will be allowed to go home to await trial.
More Saskatoon Blades games will have to be rescheduled as COVID continues to impact the Western Hockey League (WHL).
An anti-vaccine mandate protest convoy rolled through Saskatoon on Monday.
Saskatoon's Ukrainian community is closely watching the conflict brewing along the country's border with Russia.
Officials consider patient transfers to rural areas as Sask. COVID-19 hospitalizations reach highest count since October
As of Monday, 262 people with COVID-19 were in hospital, which is the highest count since Oct. 27.
Sylvester Ukabam, a former Regina doctor charged with seven counts of sexual assault against former patients, took the stand on Monday morning to kick off the third week of the trial.
A convoy of trucks protesting the federal government’s cross-border travel vaccine mandate is expected to roll through Regina on Monday evening.
Nova Scotia reported five new deaths related to COVID-19 Monday.
New Brunswick’s education and early childhood development minister is hopeful students will return to in-person learning on Monday, Jan. 31 but public health will have the final say later this week.
Prince Edward Island announced two new deaths related to COVID-19 Monday, involving two people between the ages of 60 and 79.
As of Tuesday, Princess Elizabeth Public School in London, Ont. will be closed to in-person learning.
Police in Woodstock, Ont. are warning the public of a phone scam after a victim in the city received multiple calls.
Environment Canada has issued a winter weather travel advisory Monday.
Tim Hortons is releasing a limited edition doughnut Jan. 28-30 with all proceeds supporting Special Olympics Canada and its athletes.
Science North in Sudbury is getting $500,000 in federal funding to promote vaccinations. The project is called 'Give Vaccines a Shot!' and it’s targeted at audiences of all ages.
There's a new young mayor in the region and at 22, he is of Canada's youngest. Frederic Diebel has been appointed to the vacant seat after the township's last mayor resigned.
Emergency crews responded to a house fire on Esther Avenue in Cambridge on Monday.
Experts find nearly half of Canadians are feeling frustrated, anxious and fatigued amid the fourth wave of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Region of Waterloo is reporting five new deaths related to COVID-19 in Monday's dashboard update.