VANCOUVER -- An extensive search is underway for a young Abbotsford man who went for a walk and never came back.

26-year-old Brook Morrison texted a friend that he was going walking around 5:30 Tuesday evening, and has not been seen since.

 "He’s an avid hiker. He’s super smart. He doesn’t take stupid risks. He knows what to do. So this is very, very out of character," says family friend Pippa Mann.

She is one of about 70 volunteers taking part in the search for Morrison. Central Fraser Valley Search and Rescue has set up a command post at Clearbrook Park, not far from his home. Police are also taking part in the search.

"The Abbotsford Police Department are considering this a missing person investigation. We are concerned about Brook’s wellbeing," says police spokesperson Sgt. Judy Bird.

She confirms Morrison’s cell phone was tracking in an area on the other side of the city yesterday.

"The cellphone was traced over to the Eagle Mountain, Ledgeview, Sumas Mountain area and … we also have quite a few search people out there as well," she explains.

CFVSAR manager James Roe says they originally focused on that area, but it didn’t turn up anything significant.

"Because the technology isn’t 100 per cent reliable we chose to go to the last place we know where he was, which is his home," says Roe, explaining why much of the search is focused in the Clearbrook area.

People are searching on foot and using ATVs, while police have helped search from the air.

"Abbotsford Police Department was able to use their drone today and flew over some marshy areas that we wouldn’t be able to get to on foot," says Roe.

Meanwhile, Morrison’s family believes he may have been injured and is hunkered down somewhere, waiting for help.

"We’re super grateful for everyone that’s come out and everyone that’s been willing to help search," says an emotional Mann, who describes Brook as "the kindest, sweetest boy."

She says everyone is devastated at his disappearance, as the search enters its second day.