BC Hydro says it’s not yet clear what caused a fire at a Coquitlam home where a smart meter had been installed one month earlier.

The cause of the blaze that broke out early Sunday morning at the house on Darwin Avenue is under investigation.

BC Hydro says smart meters are safe and that inspections are carried out before the devices are set up.

“In the vast majority of cases we actually find problems when we actually pull the old meter off. It’s extremely rare that there is any kind of incident after a meter is installed,” BC Hydro spokesperson Cindy Verschoor said.

The Crown corporation also says it has repaired about 1,000 meter bases around the province.

In June, a fire also began at a home in Mission where a smart meter had recently been installed. BC Hydro says the BC Safety Authority is investigating that blaze.