13 more COVID-19 cases in B.C. as health care outbreaks drop to 4
VANCOUVER -- Health officials have announced 13 more cases of COVID-19 in British Columbia and declared another care home outbreak over.
Friday's update from provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry and B.C. Health Minister Adrian Dix brings the total number of infections identified in the province since the start of the pandemic to 2,947.
Officials said six previously announced cases have been removed from B.C.'s total because the people infected were identified as residents of another province.
"This change is consistent with regular protocol," Henry and Dix said in a written statement.
Officials said no one has died from COVID-19 since their last update on Thursday, leaving the death toll at 177. Five more people have recovered from the virus, for a total of 2,608 recoveries so far.
That leaves 162 active cases, including 19 that are serious enough to require hospitalization. Of those, two people are in intensive care.
The latest outbreak to be declared over was at Langley Lodge, which suffered the deadliest outbreak of any care home in British Columbia with 25 fatalities.
Another 26 residents and 15 staff members also fell sick during the home's latest outbreak, which was the second recorded at Langley Lodge since the pandemic started.
Officials are still battling outbreaks at four health care facilities, including three long-term care homes and assisted living facilities: Holy Family Hospital, Maple Hill and Tabor Home.
There are currently no active outbreaks in the community.