Stabbing spree suspect to make first court appearance
CTV British Columbia
Published Monday, February 4, 2013 9:07AM PST
Last Updated Monday, February 4, 2013 10:15AM PST
The Vancouver man accused in the stabbing rampage at a West End apartment building Jan. 31 makes his first court appearance Monday.
Hospital officials have upgraded the condition of two of the seven victims. Two women remain in hospital: one is in stable condition while the other remains in serious condition, moved up from critical.
Thirty-three-year-old Jerome Bonneric faces 12 criminal counts in connection with the vicious spree: four counts of aggravated assault, four counts of assault with a weapon, three counts of common assault and one count of assaulting a police officer.
Police said Bonneric has no prior criminal record. He was held in protective custody over the weekend.
He is scheduled to appear in Vancouver provincial court.
News that seven people had been attacked with a knife and hammer shocked the otherwise quiet neighbourhood. Police say Bonneric was staying with a friend in the building, though there does not appear to be a connection to the victims.
Stabbing victim Howard Carley told CTV News that the accused was rambling incoherently in French during the attacks.
“He said he would kill me,” Carley said.
Carley was struck on the arm with a hammer. He was able to pin down his assailant in his living room before police stormed in.