Pumpkin soup by David Hawksworth
Chef David Hawksworth
Published Monday, November 2, 2015 2:36PM PST
Last Updated Saturday, November 7, 2015 11:40AM PST
Serving Size: 4 large bowls
- 750g pumpkin - peeled and cut into chunks
- 100 mL extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion - coarsely chopped
- 1 head of organic garlic - cut in half
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 1 L chicken stock (or vegetable) - plus more if needed
- 1.5 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- to taste - coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- to taste - finely chopped chives
- to taste - baguette - sliced diagonally
- to taste - blue cheese - crumbled
- to taste - toasted pumpkin seeds
Pre heat the oven to 400C
On a large roasting tray place the pumpkin, onion, garlic, thyme, rosemary and spread the olive oil over. Season with kosher salt.
Bake for about 1 hour at 200C till the pumpkin is slightly browned and soft to the touch.
In a large pot place the tray of roasted vegetables and add chicken stock, white pepper, ginger, allspice and nutmeg.
Bring to a simmer for about 10 minutes, let the soup cool.
Puree in a high speed blender or vitamix
Season with with coarse salt and ground pepper to taste
Garnish with extra virgin olive oil, chives and toasted pumpkin seeds
Serve with toasted baguette, with crumble blue cheese on top