Police dismantle Occupy Victoria before dawn
Published Tuesday, November 22, 2011 1:54PM PST
Victoria police cleared out the Occupy encampment at Centennial Square of all protesters and tents before dawn Tuesday, and arrested one woman who refused to leave.
Several police cars pulled up to the encampment shortly before 5 a.m., cordoning off one city block with police tape and stopping traffic on the street.
Numbers had been dwindling at the protest site since Friday, when B.C. Supreme Court Justice Terence Schultes issued an injunction order giving them until 7 a.m. the next morning to vacate the square.
On Monday, the city was also granted an enforcement order to dismantle the encampment. Const. Mike Tucker said about a dozen protesters and tents remained at the camp when officers arrived.
"The majority left on their own accord, but one woman was arrested for assault by trespass," Tucker said in a news release.
No violence on the part of protesters or police has been reported.
In Vancouver, protesters complied with a court-ordered injunction to vacate the Vancouver Art Gallery property on Monday, moving one block away to camp outside the provincial courthouse.
Both the Vancouver and Victoria Occupy camps were set up on Oct. 15.