‘Miss Congeniality’ pleads guilty to riot charge
CTV British Columbia
Published Monday, January 7, 2013 5:30PM PST
Last Updated Monday, January 7, 2013 9:37PM PST
Former beauty queen Sophie Laboissonniere pleaded guilty Monday to participating in the Stanley Cup riot that tore through downtown Vancouver in June 2011.
Another charge of break-and-enter is expected to be stayed against the young Richmond resident, who was 20 years old when she allegedly joined a mob of people who rushed into London Drugs and looted the store.
Laboissonniere did not appear in court Monday to enter her plea, but lawyer David Baker assured that she’d be present at a sentencing hearing scheduled for this spring.
Baker said his client has already suffered greatly as a result of the publicity surrounding her trial, which he expects will have a “life-long effect” on her.
“She’s received a level of notoriety that goes way beyond the offence she committed,” Baker said. “Compared to the vast majority of the people charged here, her participation in this riot was at the very low end of the scale.”
Crown lawyers requested a pre-sentencing report with a psychological component, which was approved by the court.
Laboissonniere was dubbed Miss Congeniality at the Miss Coastal Vancouver pageant in 2011, and had hoped to appear in the Miss World Canada 2011 contest before she was sidelined when her mother fell ill.
Her sentencing hearing is expected to take place at the end of May.
Last week, two rioters were sentenced for their roles in the June 15, 2011 riot, but neither received jail time.
Richard MacMillan was given a six-month conditional sentence and one years’ probation, while Timothy Kwong received an 18-month conditional sentence.
To date, 173 riot suspects have been charged and more than 100 have entered guilty pleas. Of those sentenced, 12 have avoided jail, while nine served time.