Dozens homeless after Maple Ridge fire
CTV British Columbia
Published Friday, December 14, 2012 7:43AM PST
Last Updated Friday, December 14, 2012 6:46PM PST
Dozens of people are out of their homes after a fire broke out in an apartment building in Maple Ridge Thursday night.
Some tenants had to be rescued by ladder after flames broke out in a suite on the third floor of the building near McIntosh and 223rd streets at around 11:30 p.m.
The entire building was evacuated as nearly 50 firefighters attacked the two-alarm blaze.
Crews were still working Friday morning to put out hot spots.
“It’s going to take a while to stabilize the building so people can get their belongings and then we can proceed with the investigation and find out exactly what happened,” said Assistant Chief Mark Smitton.
The tenants are being put up by emergency social services in the meantime.
Water damage to the building is extensive and crews believe the fire may have started in a third floor bedroom.