CTV 2010 holiday guide
Darcy Wintonyk, ctvbc.ca
Published Thursday, December 23, 2010 2:08PM PST
Last Updated Saturday, May 19, 2012 12:21AM PDT
All this month, CTV Online is bringing you stories about what matters most to you this holiday season: shopping, saving money and just what to do with that Christmas fruitcake.
- Surprise guests coming? Don't panic
What do you do when you get a surprise call from friends or family who want to come by -- and they're only 15 minutes away? Say yes!
- Want to shed holiday pounds? There's an app for that
Whether it's because you've overindulged in eggnog and sticky toffee pudding this holiday or your New Year's resolution is to get into shape -- January is a popular time to hit the gym.
- Online holiday shopping soars in B.C.
Holiday shoppers in B.C. aren't planning on spending more money than last year despite the economy being slightly stronger, but they are changing how they're doing their holiday shopping.
- How to beat the holiday blues
For many, the holiday season is the most stressful time of year. Here are some expert tips on how to beat the holiday blues.
- Festive drinks that make family gatherings delightful
It may not be politically correct to say that a holiday cocktail is a prerequisite at family Christmas gatherings, but let's face it, sometimes it's a reality.
- Has Christmas become a dirty word?
Some experts believe the term Christmas is set for a resurgence after nearly becoming extinct under what they call a crushing weight of political correctness.
- Flying solo for the holidays? don't fret
Spending Christmas morning without family, friends or a significant other may sound like a lonely, miserable prospect -- but don't fret.
- Holiday regifting: Naughty or nice?
Almost a decade after Seinfeld popularized the term regifter, it's grown from a punch line to a gift giving phenomenon. But the question remains, when is it okay to do it?
- Unconventional Christmas wreaths to make at home
A couple of unconventional, fun and easy-to-make Christmas wreaths from the home editor of Chatelaine magazine.
- Real vs. Fake: The Christmas tree debate
It's become a perennial debate: should the Christmas tree be real or artificial?
- 'Holidate' your way to love by New Year's Eve
While the holidays are typically looked upon as a time to connect with friends and family, dating experts say Christmas and New Year's is the perfect time for singles to meet someone special and score themselves a "Holidate."
- Finding a happy home for ugly Christmas sweaters
A spa owner with a penchant for ugly holiday clothing has launched a business that matches the tackiest Christmas sweaters with enthusiastic wearers in what's becoming a most unlikely clothing trend.
- 10 presents no one wants for Christmas
The most horrific present to receive under the tree this year is a digital picture frame, according to a recent survey of 2,000 people by the British Video Association.
- How to save money (and not be a Grinch) this Christmas
Lavishing your loved ones at Christmas doesn't have to come at the expense of putting yourself into massive debt by New Year's Eve, according to financial experts.
- Christmas greedy? Nope, I'm a self-gifter
If you leave the mall in December with more presents for yourself than your loved ones it doesn't make you greedy. It makes you a self-gifter, according to financial experts.
- Holiday mall shopping has Canadians seeing red
While Canadians will make an average of five trips to the mall for holiday shopping this year, they won't enjoy it, according to a survey of Canadian shoppers.
- Find a Christmas bureau in your area