Chef Sabrina's classic gourmet meatloaf
Published Friday, October 5, 2012 11:25AM PDT
Last Updated Monday, October 15, 2012 1:51PM PDT
We associate turkey with Thanksgiving, but not everyone is a fan of this big bird. Sabrina Tutino is a TV cooking show host, a cookbook author and a culinary consultant. Chef Sabrina shows that with a little imagination, a classic gourmet meatloaf can become a dish worthy of a feast.
Makes: 4 to 6 servings
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 50 to 60 minutes
- 2 lb (1 kg) minced medium ground veal (or beef, pork or turkey)
- Small handful breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- olive oil, to taste
- salt (or powdered beef stock) and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, 1 diced and 1 sliced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) powdered beef stock
- 12 oz (340 g) Lite Mozzarellissima cheese, cut into cubes
- 5 oz (150 g) prosciutto, thinly sliced
- 8 to 10 mixed orange, red and white carrots, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup (125 mL) white wine (or water)
- juice of half a lemon
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a bowl combine meat, breadcrumbs, egg and a drizzle of olive oil. Season with salt (or powdered beef stock) and pepper to taste, and mix well.
- In a 9"x13" (23 cm x 33 cm) ovenproof baking dish lined with plastic wrap, pack the meat mixture flat, then drizzle with olive oil.
- Distributing evenly, top with chopped onions, diced tomato, powdered beef stock and half of the Mozzarellissima. Cover with slices of prosciutto and the rest of the cheese.
- With the help of the plastic wrap, roll the meat into a large log. Discard the plastic wrap after the log is formed.
- In the baking dish, top the meatloaf with sliced tomato and any remaining onion pieces.
- Place chopped carrots around the meatloaf, then pour white wine into the bottom of the baking dish.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil, then cook uncovered for an additional 20 to 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle lemon juice over the carrots, and serve as a side dish with the meatloaf. Meatloaf can be served hot or cold.