Bomb threat forces evacuation of Coquitlam high school
CTV British Columbia
Published Thursday, November 28, 2013 11:13AM PST
Last Updated Thursday, November 28, 2013 2:54PM PST
A Coquitlam high school was evacuated after reports of a possible bomb threat.
Coquitlam RCMP sent out a tweet at about 10:53 a.m. Thursday that the school had been evacuated but students and staff were safe after a report of a bomb threat.
Cpl. Jamie Chung said officials set up a command post in the school’s parking lot before searching the school with a bomb-sniffing dog.
“It doesn’t matter to us if it is real or not, we treat every single bomb threat as if it’s real,” he said. “We always respond to a call like that very seriously.”
Students and staff were moved to nearby Scott Creek Middle School after the school evacuated.
Multiple police cars could be seen around the building and what looked like a man with a loudspeaker spoke to a crowd of staff and students standing in a nearby field.
A Coquitlam resident who lives near the school said he stopped to get a closer look after police vehicles started arriving en masse.
“People were pushing out of the building to get other people moving faster,” Thomas Mackerricher said.
The school remained closed as an investigation into the bomb threat continued.
Watch CTV News at Five and Six for an update on this developing story.